Being More Mindful at Work
Author: Leslie Speas, VP of Culture & Consulting
Do you ever:
• Find yourself dwelling on the past?
• Have anxious feelings about the future?
• Ask yourself “what if” questions?
• Have trouble focusing your attention?
Practicing mindfulness at work and in your personal time can help!
So what is mindfulness? It involves paying attention to the present moment in an accepting, nonjudgmental way. It may sound a little hokey to some, but it can bring great benefits!
At companies like Google, Aetna, Nike, and Apple, mindfulness is a staple of employee development. Their mindfulness programs have helped to decrease stress levels while improving focus and clarity, listening and decision-making skills, and overall well-being of their employees.
Conscious breathing is a great practice for mindfulness at (and outside of) work. It calms us down, keeps our stress hormones in check, and quiets our busy minds. And it’s easy! Here’s what you do – Inhale quietly through your nose for four seconds, hold for seven seconds, exhale completely through your mouth for eight seconds, and repeat two more times. Practice this and compare how you feel before and after!
Here are a few more strategies to help you be more mindful at work:
• Make a clear decision at the beginning of the day to be as present as you can be. When your mind wanders, acknowledge your thoughts and bring your attention back to the task at hand.
• Set an alarm every hour to cease your activity and do one minute of breathing or mindfulness practice.
• Put a rubber band on your wrist and snap it every time unwanted thoughts enter your mind.
• Unclutter your workspace, workflows and processes.
• Take time to feel gratitude – being mindful about what’s going well and not focusing on the negative.
• Accept yourself as you are (weaknesses, shortcomings and positive traits). When you make mistakes, learn from them and allow yourself to move on.
To learn more, or for training opportunities – contact Leslie Speas at email@example.com
Mindfulness in the Workplace
Workplace Yoga Break/Yoga Classes